Fake Lawns: Should You Go There?
April 24, 2019 | By Roundtree Landscaping
It’s not a secret that people – especially Texans -- spend a lot of time, money, and resources trying to achieve the picture-perfect lawn. But, our harsh summer weather conditions & less than ideal soil makes it difficult to grow the perfect lawn. Our large shade trees can make it impossible. There are many locations that simply will not sustain a lawn, no matter how much you water or fertilizer. What if we told you we have the answer to your problems - and the answer is artificial turf?
We realize as a landscape design company that loves plants, it may sound a bit sacrilegious for us to suggest an artificial lawn. But, we always preach planting the right plant in the right place, and for certain areas real lawn grass isn’t the right plant.
Ready for year-round green? Artificial turf is the answer!
Modern Faux Turf Options
The first thing most people think of when artificial turf is mentioned is Astro-turf. Trust us, the artificial turf of today is nothing like that of the past. Technology has advanced so much that you will be surprised how real the options look! It isn’t just a one type fits all situation either – you can install faux turf that looks like fescue, Bermudagrass, or St. Augustine.
Because of the wide variety of artificial turf options available, you can seamlessly incorporate artificial turf in your yard to match what you already have growing. Artificial turf is especially handy in shady locations under trees or areas with high traffic (ie: pools, dog runs) where lawn grasses have a difficult time establishing and thriving. Or, you have a muddy mess.
Under large trees and around pools are the ideal location for faux turf.
You may be worried about your pets using faux turf for their “business”. It’s actually quite easy to remove the waste & then hose down the area. Artificial turf has a water permeable backing which easily allows water to seep right into the soil.
More reasons why artificial turf can work for you:
- Eco-friendly: Gone will be the days of fertilizer, herbicides, and pesticides for your lawn. Your artificial lawn can be sustainable and no-maintenance.
- No weeds: In addition to a lush green surface, with faux turf, you won’t have any weeds. No pulling or spraying involved.
- Low maintenance: Have we mentioned you won’t have to mow ever again? The low maintenance factor of artificial turf will free up your weekends so you actually have time to spend outdoors, enjoying your lawn with your family and friends.
- Fewer Insects: Even though you won’t be able to tell the difference in your lawn, insects can. Mosquitoes, fleas, and ants won’t wait to live in faux turf because of the barrier between them and the soil – making your outdoor time that much more pleasant.
- Year-round green: In real lawns, we have winter grasses and summer grasses and the time in between the seasons when your lawn looks dead. In a faux lawn, you have green year round! Your kids and pets can enjoy playing all the time.
- Better drainage: Prior to installation of artificial turf, we will grade and level your yard properly to assure good drainage. The permeable backing quickly drains rainwater away.
- Water-wise: Water conservation is crucial. Lawns are some of the largest water-wasters out there. By installing an artificial lawn where it’s the smarter choice, you are helping to eliminate water waste.
Conserve water & reduce maintenance!
If your live lawn has no hope, but you still want the look of a lawn, give us a call and we’ll walk through your faux lawn options!